Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Rickshaw in Starkville

Since their was so electricity at my house or office in Jackson, I traveled to Starkville on Tuesday to work out of the Starkville office of Smith, Reeves, & Yarborough. I went to Roxie's to get supper and a few beers. By the way, I recommend the chicken fajitas, which have been good on more than one occasion, and they go well with the many imported beers they have on tap.

The reason I tell all of this is that after we were finished eating, a rickshaw peddled up and asked if anyone needed a ride. I talked to the driver and asked about his operation. He said that he had designed and helped build the rickshaw and that he traveled University Drive from Mugshots to the Cotton District. The driver, who seemed to be a student, explained that he had no set fee but that he worked for tips only.

I was glad so see the ingenuity of a college student and the additional services which he will provide. This is proof that Starkville continues to become more of a bicycle-friendly community and also gives students an alternative to driving home drunk. By the way, he said he will be working this weekend so I hope that people will choose to use his services. It would be a lot more romantic than taking a date on the Night Route.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home